Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shortdale School No. 2100 (Shortdale, Municipality of Roblin)

The Shortdale School District was established in November 1922 and, as of the following fall, a one-room schoolhouse (constructed by a Mr. Bass of Grandview) operated in the village of Shortdale (SE9-26-26W) in what is now the Municipality of Roblin. The school closed in 1967 and the district was dissolved. Its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building was standing vacant at the site in the mid-1980s but no vestige of it was found during a visit in 2012.

Among the teachers who worked at Shortdale School through the years were Ralph Mayes, Mary Waddell (1924-1925), Mr. Charles (1925-1926), Ruby McNeill (1927), Verna McDonald (1927-1928), W. C. Hodkinson (1928-1931), Mrs. Wilsey (1935-1936), Mr. J. Oliver (1935-1936), Mr. J. B. Nash (1936-1937), Wilfred Rasmussen (1939-1940), Evelyn Mostmans (1940-1941), Helen Warbeck (1940-1941), Evelyn Cassin (1942-1943), Eunice Kenwood (1944-1945), Jessie Lindsay (1945-1946), Mr. Shatkowsky (1946-1947), Marie Yurkevich (1947-1948), William Sul (1948-1949), Dennis Becker (1949-1951), Beatrice Rowlette (1951-1952), Stan Wasylishen (1952-1953), Harry Antoniw (1953-1954), Orest Smycniuk (1954-1955), Mrs. M. Cameron (1955-1956), Elizabeth Switzer (1956-1957), Reba Perchaluk (1957-1958), William Gulenchyn (1958-1959), Miss G. Titanich (1959-1960), Mrs. M. Williamson (1960-1961), Orville Weselowski (1961-1963), and Mrs. E. Perchaluk (1963-1967).

Shortdale School

Shortdale School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 94.

Site Location (lat/long): N51.23609, W101.05253
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shortdale Monument (Shortdale, Municipality of Roblin)

Sources:

Roblin East topographic map, 62N/3 East, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Shortdale – The Roads We Travelled by the Shortdale Reunion Committee, 2003.

This page was prepared by Ed Arndt and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 28 November 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.