Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sandringham School No. 722 (RM of Dauphin)
The Sandringham School District was organized formally in October 1892 and a one-room log school building was erected the following year on the northwest quarter of 16-25-20 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin, on land donated by Charlie Hicks. In 1949, it was replaced by a new building. The school closed in June 1964 with remaining students going to schools in Dauphin. In 1980, the log school building was moved to Fort Dauphin Museum and a monument commemorates it at the former site.
The teachers of Sandringham School were William Farrer (1894), Emma Rice, Emma Wason, Margaret Fortune, Frances Ashe, Edith More, J. E. Durnin, Isabel Strang, Barbara Tate, Bella McDonald, W. F. Wood, Irene Weatherhead, Enid Leigh, Emma Johnson, Margaret Marrs, Jessie Weatherhead, Jessie Haxley, Lola Alguire, Lillian Henderson, Pearl Presley, Mabel Buchannan, Pearl Beach, Della Alguire, Dorothy Haw, Helga Bergman, Alma Castle, Helen Winstone, Charles Hunt, Elsie Castle, Irene Bigham, Isabel Sutherland, Frances Wilmott, Alta Pipher, Marguerite Stelck, Margaret Kennedy, Gerald Lepper, Grace Cowan, Meryl Stewart, Tessie Hamilton (1938), Eleanor Lindsay, Ida Newman, Edna Winters, Adela Lee, Ruby Mickelson, Alice Gerega, Joyce Lee, Frances Stewart, Lillian Day Sherman, Maxine Rogers, Mrs. Velma Beyette (1954-1956), Joseph Jenkins (1956-1957), Manuel Boguski (1957-1959), Mildred Pascal (1959-1960), John Stolarchuk (1960-1961), Barry Knight, and Leonard Gluska (1963-1964).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The School District of Pozir #2206 by the Pozir School and District Reunion Committee, April 1998, page 19.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2021