Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Salem School No. 623 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

Salem School was established in May 1890. The original log building was located one mile south of this site, in the northwest quarter of 30-10-5 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. In 1907 a new school was built at this site, in NE36-10-6. It closed in January 1967 and was merged into the Portage Central Consolidated School No. 2456. The building was used as the Salem Cooperative Community Club, a centre of social activities, until 1995. It is now a private residence. A monument at the site was dedicated on 29 June 1997.

The teachers who worked at Salem School through the years were Isabella Jones, Alice Land, Maggie Tully, Mabel Barnwell, S. Ruttan, Grace Jones, W. H. Rennie, Ella Garrioch, Winnifred B. Jones, A. L. Lucking, Jennie Parkinson, Vera Sinker, Gertrude L. Blow, Mabel Thompson, Agnes H. Craig, Bessie Price, Lucy Daisy Malloch, Susie M. Hazzelwood, Mabel L. Rutledge, Euphemia Fraser, Myrtle Shuttleworth, Anna D. Bolin, Esther E. Halstead, Helen Sanderson, Gladys MacKinley, Monica Youle Connors Mortemore (1941-?), Mary Frizzley, Alice Goldsborough Beck, Eleanor Hanslit, Irene Wadman, Shirley Wishart, Evelyn Robertson, Anne Young, Kathleen Simms, Lesia Chorneyko, Mrs. Lesia A. Case, Lena Jackson, Barbara Varga, Beverly Struthers, Anne Skavinski, Oliver Bansfield, Linda Smith, Caroline Zdan, and Shirley Case.

Salem School

Salem School (no date) by J. H. Plewes
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 98.

Salem School

Salem School (June 1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Architectural Survey - Portage la Prairie District 1.

The former Salem School building

The former Salem School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1062.

Salem School commemorative monument

Salem School commemorative monument (September 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88674, W98.14210
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 16 August 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.