Historic Sites of Manitoba: Royal School No. 417 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
Royal School was established in August 1885 and the first classes were held in 1887. The school was situated in the southwest quarter of 14-4-20 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton. The building was replaced by a new structure in 1951. The school closed in June 1968. A monument at the school site was dedicated at a ceremony on 5 August 1968.
Among the teachers of Royal School was Judson D. Cook (1887).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 173-174.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 April 2018
Back to top of page