Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rockwood School No. 19 (RM of Rockwood)
A monument was erected on the former site of Rockwood School, at NE17-13-2 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood. The school was established in December 1872 and served as a community school, meeting hall, and church until June 1967 when it closed. The building was sold in 1967 and dismantled the following year.
The monument was erected in 1998 to commemorate the pioneers, students, teachers, trustees, and citizens of the Rockwood School District. It was dedicated at a ceremony on 27 June 1999. It is across the road from the Rockwood Cemetery.
Among the teachers who worked at Rockwood School were Clara Foot, Ruby Arndt (1935), Isabelle Martin, J. A. McNeil, and Vivian Sheldon.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 February 2021