Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ripon School No. 2029 (RM of Dauphin)

The Ripon School District was organized formally in July 1919 and a school building was erected on the northeast quarter of 21-26-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The district was dissolved in 1965 and the remaining students were bused into Dauphin. The building, now abandoned and in poor repair, still stands at the site as of 2012.

Among the teachers of Ripon School was Marie Gregorash, Edna Strasdin (1938), Mrs. Marie Kaleta (1954-1955), Miss Diana Kostiow (1955-1956), Mrs. Isabel Torrie (1956-1957), George Dutchession (1957-1960), and Donald Nakonechny (1960-1965).

Ripon School

The second Ripon School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ripon School

Interior of the former Ripon School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Ripon School

Interior of the former Ripon School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.27272, W99.92443
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.

“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.

“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.

“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.

“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.

“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.

“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.

“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.

“Teaching staff for area schools increases to 132 for opening 1963-64 term,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 21 August 1963, page 1.

“All area schools open classes next Tuesday, 131 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 26 August 1964, page 1.

“All schools in area open classes Sept. 1 – 133 on teaching staffs,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 25 August 1965, page 1, 8.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 11 January 2017

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.