A log building on Wasagaming Drive in Riding Mountain National Park was constructed of locally-cut logs in 1933. Initially, it served as a museum and auditorium, surrounded by a formal English garden. It remains in use as a visitor reception centre.
A stone monument immediately south of the building was dedicated on 26 July 1983, on the 50th anniversary of the official opening of the park. It lists the executive members of the original Riding Mountain Association:
Photos & Coordinates
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riding Mountain National Park Monument (Wasagaming, Riding Mountain National Park)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Riding Mountain East Gate Entrance Complex (Riding Mountain National Park)
Birth Pangs of a National Park by Charles T. Thomas
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 15, Number 1, Winter 1970
Memorable Manitobans: James Smart (1888-1957)
We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 April 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.