Historic Sites of Manitoba: Richmond Hill School No. 363 (RM of Lorne)
The Richmond Hill School District was established in January 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE34-6-12W in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. It closed in 1959 and its students went to Holland Consolidated School No. 390, Ste. Marie School No. 963, or Cypress River Consolidated School No. 2357. A plaque at the former site of the school was dedicated in 1985.
The teachers of Richmond Hill School were Mrs. Edith Carwell (1885-1890), T. H. Lougheed (1890-1891), F. H. Breen (1891), Miss Pratt (1892), Harry Grills (1892-1893), Miss Crawford (1893-1894), Frank Manning (1894-1897), Miss A. Cuthbert (1897), Miss Ethel Thomas, Miss Stevenson, Miss Marrit, Miss Maud Houston (1907), Olive Arbuthorst (1907), Emma Thomas (1907-1910), Margaret Crake (1910), Daisy Stevenson (1910), Maida Wall (1914-1915), Marion McKinnon (1915-1918), Vida Lloyd (1918-1919), Mardell Chunn (1919-1920), Esther Kemp (1920-1921), Alma Young (1921-1922), Myrtle Johnston (1922-1923), Gladys Dowd (1923-1925), Margaret Ross (1926-1928), Dorothy Gardiner (1928-1929), Bea Kenny (1929-1931), Jean Richmond (1931-1935), Muriel Ebbern (1935-1936), Helen Shier (1936-1937), Earla Nattrass (1937-1941), Leola Heidman (1941-1942), Laura Jones (1942-1943), Margaret Moffat (1943-1944), Lois Wadge (1944-1945), Irene Rosset (1945-1946), Cecile Bellec (1946-1948), Marie Dousselaere (1948-1949), Karen Carroll (1949-1950), Jerry Baltesson (1950-1951, 1952-1953), Emily Szarkawicz (1951-1952), Agnes Heiget (1953-1954), Esther Young (1954-1955), Marie Durand (1955-1957), Doris Atkinson (1957-1958), and Leone Mitchelson (1958-1959).
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Pioneers, Perseverance & Progress: Cypress River, 1885-1985 by the Cypress River History Book Committee, circa 1986. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C96 Pio]
We thank David Clark, Jerry Baltesson, and John Moore for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2017
Back to top of page