Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Red Feather Farm (Edstan Place, Selkirk)

A monument in this small park in Selkirk commemorates the 108th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force who occupied barracks here during the First World War. The name derived from large chicken barns on the site, part of a farm operated by W. L. Parrish, and the battalion used a rooster as a symbol on its military badge. It went overseas in September 1916.

Red Feather Farm Site

Red Feather Farm Site (September 2015)
Source: Jean McManus

Red Feather Farm Monument

Red Feather Farm Monument (September 2015)
Source: Jean McManus

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.13258, W96.88173
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Jean McManus.

Page revised: 22 September 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.