Historic Sites of Manitoba: Reaburn School No. 1890 (RM of Woodlands)
The Reaburn School District was established in June 1917 and a schoolhouse was constructed in 1919 by contractor Percy Hunt, at NE13-13-4W in the Rural Municipality of Woodlands. After the closure of the Ossawa School around 1946, students from that area came here. The school closed around 1960 and, in 1967, its catchment area became part of the Interlake School Division. A commemorative sign remains at the former school site.
The teachers who worked at Reaburn School through the years were Elsie Gardener (1917-1918), Margaret McDonald (1918), E. Blanche Wood (1919), Cora Hopkins (1919-1920), Vivian Finn (1920-1922), Ethel Lye (1922-1923), Montague Shore (1923), Mrs. J. Garton (1923-1924, 1926-1928), Allie Wright (1925-1926), D. Fred McNeill (1929-1942, 1944-1946), Kathleen Sims (1943), Mrs. J. Belton (1943), Annie Duffie (1943), Mrs. A. L. Hendy (1946-1947), Margaret Witty (1947-1950), Miss P. Dann (1950), Bertha Schlichting (1950), Mrs. Nichol (1950-1951), Mrs. George Finnegan (1951-1958), Miss Fox (1959-1960), Mrs. George Fruhn (1960-1961), George Fruhn (1961-1964), Mr. Pokrant (1964-1966), and Mr. Lambert (1966-1967).
Footsteps through the Years - Ossowa, Reaburn, Marquette, Meadow Lea, Poplar Heights by the Marquette and District Historical Guild, 1977.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Woodland Echoes by Madeline L. Proctor, 1970, pages 194-196.
Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.
We thank John Moore and Lorna Clark for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 26 December 2018
Back to top of page