A structure built at this site in the Rural Municipality of Victoria in 1902 was first used as a church then, in September 1903, a school district was organized around it. Rae School continued to operate until 1962 when it joined Holland Consolidated School District. As of the 1980s, the former school building was used as a granary at SW3-9-11W.
The former Rae School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1399.
Rae School Monument (2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.71698, W98.89273
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.