The Purple Hill School District was established formally in February 1887 and a school building was erected at SW18-4-24W in the Rural Municipality of Brenda. It operated until 1959 when the district was dissolved, and remaining students went to Medora Consolidated School No. 493. The frame school building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it. Some records for the school are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita. As of 1986, the former school building was being used for storage at NW35-3-25W.
Purple Hill School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 70.
The former Purple Hill School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 178.
Purple Hill School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.29640, W100.71432
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 April 2014
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.