Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bonnycastle School / Plainview School No. 1978 (RM of Gilbert Plains)
The Plainview School District was known originally as Bonnycastle School District when it was organized formally in May 1919. The name was changed some time before 1944. A school building operated on the southwest quarter of 1-26-23 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Gilbert Plains. It closed in 1967 and the remaining students went to Brickburn Consolidated School No. 998. The former school stood at the site until 2005 when it was destroyed by fire. A monument unveiled in 1993 commemorates it.
Among the teachers who worked at Plainview School was J. H. Doughty (1920).
Plainview School (no date) by H. L. Albright
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 71.
The former Plainview School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 474.
Plainview School monument (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N51.21398, W100.57823
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 February 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.