Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pine Valley School No. 1168 (RM of Piney)
The Pine Valley School District was established in February 1902 and a log school building was constructed at NE12-1-1E in what would later become the Rural Municipality of Piney. In 1916, a wood frame schoolhouse was constructed using a package purchased from the Eaton’s department store. It was renovated in the 1950s but the original interior wood is concealed under the present wallboard. A teacherage was built south of the school in 1958.
The school became part of the Piney Municipal School District in May 1936. It became a remote school in March 1961 and was closed in 1964, with students from this area henceforth going to Pine Creek School in Piney. The building was renovated into a private residence.
The teachers who worked at Pine Valley School through the years were Miss Markusson (1903-1905), Mindy Gislason (1905-1906), Margaret Inkster (1906-1907), Jennie Johnson (1907-1908), Gudrun Peterson (1908-1909), M. J. Inkster (1909-1910), Annie E. Clarke (1910-1911), Emilie Palmason (1911-1912), Ingiborg Bjornsson (1912-1914), Tannis Naisbitt (1914-1915), Jon Runolfson (1915-1916), Magnea Einarson (1916-1917), Elsie McDougall (1917-1919), Isabell Cumming (1919-1920), Alice Mary Gray (1920-1921), Ida Kempel (1920-1921), Margaret Inkster (1921-1922), Muriel Jerrard (1922-1923), Agnes Ross (1922-1923), Mary Card (1923-1924), Marion Frame (1923-1925), Ferne Morden (1925-1926), Lily Erlendson (1925-1927), Marjorie Fingerotte (1927-1928), Sarah Anne Young (1928-1930), Helen J. Anderson (1930), Eva M. Sweet (1930-1932), Margaret Olson (1932-1934), Lila B. Ellis (1934-1936), Annie McKinnon (1936-1941), Irene Falk (1941-1942), Maye Norman (1941-1942), Margaret Freeman (1942-1946), Freida Eyford (1946-1947), Frances Norman (1946-1947), Sally Penner (1947-1948), Gerald Hansen (1948-1949), Bernice Lee (1949-1950), Gabrielle Phillippe (1950-1951), Margaret Brugos (1951-1952), Trygovine Oleson (1952-1953), Delsie Olson (1953-1954), Inette Holtz (1954-1955), Lillian Anderson (1955-1956), Mavis Dunlop (1956-1957), Darlene Lee (1957-1958), Christine McSherry (1958-1959), Susie Andries (1959-1961), Mary Chobotar (1961-1962), Mrs. A. H. Eyford (1963-1964), and Frank Martens (1963-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Pine Valley Echoes: A History of Badger, Menisino and Piney by Piney Area History Book Committee, 1988. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P55Pin]
We thank Doris Hovorka (Sprague and District Historical Museum) and Barbara Szalanski for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 March 2021