Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pinawa School No. 1627 (Old Pinawa, RM of Lac du Bonnet)
The Pinawa School District was established in May 1912 and a schoolhouse operated in the community of Old Pinawa (as opposed to the present village of Pinawa) that developed around the Pinawa hydroelectric power station, in the Rural Municipality of Lac du Bonnet. In 1966, the area became part of the Lac du Bonnet Consolidated School. The former school building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it.
Pinawa School (no date) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 6.
Pinawa School monument (September 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.21714, W95.92763
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pinawa Hydroelectric Power Dam (Old Pinawa, RM of Lac du Bonnet)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 January 2014
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.