Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northern Grain Elevator / National Grain Elevator (Pettapiece, RM of Oakview)
A 25,000-bushel wooden grain elevator at Pettapiece, on the CPR Miniota Subdivision in what is now the Rural Municipality of Oakview, was built in 1902 by the Northern Elevator Company. In 1940, the company merged with two others to form National Grain. In 1951, a 30,000-bushel annex was built beside the elevator. Closed in 1972, the elevator was demolished around 1978.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
Birth registration [George Lawrence Pettapiece], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
History of Blanshard Municipality: 1884-1959, Volume 1.
Rivers East topographic map, 62K/1 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Obituary [George Lawrence Pettapiece], Brandon Sun, 21 February 1983, page 15.
“The four Pettapiece elevators – 1892-1972,” Rivers Gazette-Reporter, 27 July 1983, pages 3-4.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Janice Spearin French for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 27 March 2018
Back to top of page