Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Petrel School No. 268 (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

The Petrel School District was formally established in January 1884, and a school building was erected here, in the northeast quarter of 36-11-15 west of the Principal Meridian in the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford. It closed in September 1967 and its remaining students went to Carberry Consolidated School No. 2404. The school building is no longer present at the site but is commemorated by a monument in a small park, now situated on the Trans-Canada Trail. A nearby sign commemorates Petrel district pioneers Joe and Daisy Switzer and their children John, Harry, Louise, Bob, and Emory.

Among the teachers of Petrel School were Robert M. Brown (1892), C. McKinnon (1893), B. Mawhinney (1894), A. Abbott (1895), C Ferguson (1897), M. Bemister (1897), R. Garland (1897), J. Conklin (1899), Edith Carwell (1900), M. Baldwin (1902), E. Oxeham (1904), G. Collins (1905), J. Freed (1909), E. McKim (1910), A. McLean (1911), Ada Dingle (1911), B. Drummond (1912), K. Heffleman (1912), H. Brautigan (1913), M. McKinnon (1915), B. Harkness (1915, 1917), Effie McCaskill (1916), J. Chisholm (1919, 1950), L. Simpson (1923), B. Robinson (1924), M. Hunter (1924), A. Mcintosh (1929), V. Black (1932), M. Moffatt (1933), E. Nicol (1935, 1939), C. Johnston (1938), H. Kolesar (1939), L. Martin (1940), D. Fallis (1943), D. Baillie (1943), F. Gendeaus (1943), A. Gietz (1943), I. Soderstrom (1944), M. Sedgewick (1945), W. Leask (1946), M. Penner (1947), P. McCully (1948), M. McIntosh (1948), F. Rasmussen (1952), P. Witherspoon (1953), P. Porter (1957), and L. Perrett (1958).

Petrel School

Petrel School (no date) by J. B. Morrison
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 8.

Petrel School commemorative monument

Petrel School commemorative monument (December 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Petrel School commemorative monument

Petrel School commemorative monument (June 2020)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.97541, W99.38547
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Nathan Kramer and Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 13 November 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.