Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Park View School No. 1391 (Municipality of West Interlake)

The Park View School District was established in August 1906 and a one-room log schoolhouse operated at NE16-21-6W, on land donated by William Lundy, in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. Destroyed by fire in the early 1920s, the original building was replaced by a wood frame structure. Low student enrollment caused the school to close periodically from 1940 to 1965 when it closed permanently. Two years later, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division. The former school building was moved to Vogar.

Among the teachers of Park View School were Edward “Ed” Miskelly (1907-1913), Margaret Martin (1914), John N. Sturk (1915-1916), Frank S. Shaw (1916), Annie C. Mills (1916-1917), Marjorie W. Adams (1918-1919), E. Arnason (1919-1920), Sadie H. Hackland (1920-1921), J. Stromquist (1922), Evelyn Latulippe (1922), E. Russell Dicks (1923), Flora M. Margetson (1924-1926), Rose Tow (1926-1927), Ray Ginsberg (1927-1929), Nettie Mary Forrest (1929-1930), Isabel Craig (1930-1931), Ellen Alena Vosper (1931-1933), Lillian Florence Webster (1935-1936), Elizabeth K. Hallama (1938-1939), Enid Thomson (1939-1941), Rhoda Elizabeth Halliday (1943-1944), Hugh Robert McCow (1944-1945), Elizabeth Klassen (1945-1946), Ila Jean McClelland (1946-1947), Joyce Muriel Parrott (1947-1948), Jean Smith (1948-1949), Lena M. Kuslak (1949), W. F. Durnin (1950), William McInnis (1950), Dennis M. Williams (1951), Savella Prystupa (1951-1952), Jean Patricia Gusdal (1953-1954), Jean Happychuk (1956-1957), Edith Lawrence (1957-1958), Viola Torgerson (1958-1959), Edith Mary Penny (1959-1964), and Rosa Johnson (1964-1965).

Park View School

Park View School (June 1965)
Source: Judy Gleich

Site of the former Park View School

Site of the former Park View School (November 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.81502, W98.22763
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Eriksdale East topographic map, 62G/16 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Park View School District #1391 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, pages 71-73.

We thank Judy Gleich for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.