The Otterburne West School District was organized formally in September 1889 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE29-6-3E in the Rural Municipality of DeSalaberry. The district was dissolved in 1967 and the former school building was later used as a community hall. The building was gone by the time of an August 2014 site visit.
Otterburne West School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 28.
The former Otterburne West community hall (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 294.
Site of Otterburne West School (August 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.50270, W97.14364
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Otterburne School No. 1486 (Otterburne, RM of DeSalaberry)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 January 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.