Historic Sites of Manitoba: Orangeville School No. 1011 (Municipality of North Norfolk)
Named for a town in Ontario, the Orangeville School was formally established in April 1899, in what is now the Municipality of North Norfolk, from parts of Springbrook, Emmeline, and Path Head school districts. The first frame school was built later that year, on NE23-12-11W using land provided by farmer George Spears. The school did not have title to the land and it moved in 1910 to NW23-12-11W. A new school was built at the site in 1956 but was closed ten years later due to consolidation, with the remaining students bussed to Austin Consolidated School No. 2433 or MacGregor Consolidated School No. 2434. The school building was sold. A monument, erected in 1990, commemorates the students, teachers, trustees and pioneers of the Orangeville community.
The teachers who worked at Orangeville School included: Sadie E. Cleland (1899), Isabella McKenzie (1900), Robert Foulds (1901), Beatrice McKinnon (1905-1906), Vida M. Poole (1906-1908), Mary C. MacBain (1908-1909), Effie Johnstone (1909), Jessie R. George (1910), E. McCaffrey (1910), Effie Mawhinney (1910-1911), Etzell M. Morrison (1911-1912), Isobel MacDonald (1912-1913), Maude McGowen (1913), Euphemi D. Stirling (1913-1914), Rebecca D. Burgess (1914-1915), Mary E. Bissett (1915-1916), Elizabeth G. Cook (1916-1917), Grace Harrison (1917-1918), B. A. Ross (1918), Effie A. McKinnon (1918-1919), A. C. Avery (1919-1920), E. Robertson (1920), Mary Campbell (1921-1922), Sadie Isaacovitch (1923), Dorothy Robinson (1923), Charles Argue (1924), Edith Smith (1924-1925), Kathleen L. Street (1925-1926), Mary C. Cowen (1926-1927), Lucille M. Kemp (1927-1928), Bertha Muir (1928), Myrtle J. Galbraith (1929), Margaret M. Smith (1929-1930), Lillian M. Pearson (1930-1931), Louise M. Bryan (1931-1935), Evelyn Grace Farley (1935-1937), John A. Campbell (1937), Jean Campbell (1938), Margaret Ruth Crosland (1938-1940), Margaret Ellen Simpson (1940-1942), Beatrice M. Manns (1942-1943), Phyllis I. Lowe Leslie (1943-1944), Mrs. K. Duncan (1944-1945), Florence Grace Chappell (1945-1946), Connie Margaret Scott (1946-1947), L. K. Miller (1947-1948), Vera Grundy (1948), Harold A. Lyons (1948-1949), Edna M. Foxton (1949-1950), Alice B. Rudowski (1950), Yvonne M. Eagles (1950-1951), Edith M. Brown (1951-1952), Gerta Loewen (1952), Marion Brown (1953), John Peters (1953-1954), Lloyd A. Street (1954-1955), Patricia J. Campbell (1955-1956), Eva S. Hyde (1956-1957), James A. Coughlan (1957-1958), Pearl Farough (1958), Edward Chesko (1959), Lorraine Rintoul (1959), Antony Twerdochlib (1959-1960), Morris Pickering (1960-1961), Marian Fawcett (1961-1962), Ethel A. Gregory (1962-1963), Verna Martens (1963-1964), Carol A. Bradshaw (1964).
A Rear View Mirror: A History of the Austin and Surrounding Districts by Anne M. Collier, Altona: Friesen Printing, 1967.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Through Fields and Dreams: A History of the Rural Municipality of North Norfolk and MacGregor by The History Book Committee of the North Norfolk-MacGregor Archives, 1998, page 1125.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 September 2019