Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old Emerson Cemetery (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
This old Anglican cemetery near the Town of Emerson in the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin contains over 20 stone monuments, some from as early as the 1870s. The cemetery was abandoned in 1900 in favour of the present Emerson Cemetery to the west, and this cemetery became overgrown by vegetation. Through the efforts of local citizens, it has been cleaned up and all monuments are now clearly visible.
To reach the site, follow the Trans-Canada Trail straight east from the newer cemetery. Blue directional arrows mark the way along a grass trail about a half-mile in length, accessible only to pedestrians, not vehicles.
Burial Monuments in Old Emerson Cemetery (2010)
Source: Wayne Arseny
Site Location (lat/long): N49.00626, W97.18970
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Emerson Cemetery (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Luke’s Anglican Church (Emerson, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
We thank Wayne Arseny for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.