Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oberon Memorial Monument (Oberon, Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
A monument, dedicated on 27 July 2002 in Oberon, in what is now the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, features four plaques commemorating the Oberon United Church, Auburn School, Oberon Hall, and Oberon Rink.
Auburn School No. 146 was established in August 1882. The original one-room frame structure, originally situated elsewhere, was moved into Oberon in 1908. A sixteen-foot addition was built in 1952. As many as 30 pupils per session received grades 1 to 8 education. The school was closed in September 1967 and the building was moved away in 1977.
Oberon United Church was founded in a brick structure built in 1903 as a Presbyterian Church. It closed in 1963 and the congregation moved to Brookdale. The stone church building was demolished in 1976.
The Oberon Community Hall was first started by the Foresters but was completed by Adam McKenzie. A kitchen was added in 1920 and replaced in 1981. It is still in use today.
The present Oberon Rink, consisting of one curling sheet and a skating sheet, was constructed in 1927 to replace one built in 1909. For a couple of weeks each winter the skating ice was converted into three additional sheets of curling ice where bonspiels were held.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Carberry Plains, Century One: 1882-1982 by the Carberry History Committee, 1982. ISBN 0-88925-422-2. Manitoba Historical Society Library, 971.27Car, page 154.
Page revised: 4 December 2019
Back to top of page