Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakville North School No. 655 (Oakville, RM of Portage la Prairie)
The Oakville School District was established in March 1891 and a one-room, wood frame school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 30-11-4W, north of the village of Oakville in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. It operated here until 1906 when the school was moved into Oakville. A commemorative monument at the original school site was erected in September 1999 by the descendants of its first students.
Oakville School building erected in 1891 by Portage la Prairie builder and architect James A. MacDonald (circa 1906)
Source: Education Department Report, 1906, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Oakville School monument (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.94562, W98.00627
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakville School No. 655 (Oakville, RM of Portage la Prairie)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 February 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.