Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Plympton School No. 80 / Dugald School No. 80 (Dugald, RM of Springfield)
The Plympton School District was established in 1879 within the Rural Municipality of Springfield and that same year the Department of Education split the area into the North Plympton School District and South Plympton School District. The North Plympton School District began in October 1879 and a schoolhouse operated at NW34-10-5 East on Gillespie Street in Dugald. Classes began in 1880 and continued at that site until 1892 when a new school was built on Dugald Road, after which the first school was sold and relocated to the farmstead of Stewart Edie (later demolished in 1972). Grades one through eight were taught locally with subsequent high school grades usually acquired via transferred attendance to the Winnipeg School District until 1922.
The second North Plympton School operated from 1892 until 1936, during which the period enrollment grew and a second teacher was added in 1922. Additional space was acquired within the Dugald Methodist Church, though discontinued in favour of a former bank building within the settlment due to difficulty in maintaining sufficient heating levels within the church. In 1931, the district was renamed as the Dugald School District and, in 1936, the new Dugald School opened. The second schoolhouse was later acquired by Norman Edie and moved to his farmstead, where the structure remained standing as of 1973.
Among the early teachers of North Plympton School were Miss Florence Brigham (1881), Eliza Wiliamson (1882-1883), Alf Downes (1884), Cora L. Darke (1885), May E. Lunn (1886-1888), Robert Johnston (1888), Helen Browne “Nellie” Hislop (1889), Mae Heslip (1889), Minnie Conklin (1890), Miss Halpenny (1891), Mr. McRae (1892), Anne McFarlane (1893), George Slater (1894), J. B. Hugg (1895), K. S. Hugg (1895-1896), R. Y. Conklin (1896-1898), William Thomas Daniel Lathwell (1899), Isabell Robertson (1900), Joe Marshall (1900), L. Riley (1901), Mary Patrick (1902-1903), Elizabeth Robertson (1904), Duncan Martin (1904), Clara Gallaway (1905), Alma McLeod (1907), Ethel M. McLaughlan (1907), Norman Brett (1908-1909), Miss E. M. Caskill (1910-1913), Gertrude E. Jackson (1913-1917), Lillian A. Smith (1917), Winnifred M. Church (1917-1920), Jean R. Cox (1920-1921), Frances E. Stanbridge (1921-1922).
Photos & Coordinates
Dugald West topographic map, 62H/15, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Springfield, 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973, Dugald Women’s Institute.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, North Plympton School District No. 80 - Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Dugald School District No. 80 - Daily Registers, GR9480, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 August 2022