Historic Sites of Manitoba: Northfield School No. 264 (RM of South Cypress)
Settlers in the area east of Wawanesa, in the Rural Municipality of South Cypress, established a school district in the spring of 1882 and, by June, a one-room school had been erected. An early student here was Nellie McClung. She also taught at the school briefly, in 1896. The first Northfield School was destroyed by fire on 16 February 1933 (and a temporary school building was burned on 3 May 1933) but was rebuilt according to the original design, this time with a basement.
In 1960, the school closed and its students went to Wawanesa Consolidated School No. 2393. The building was sold to the Town of Wawanesa. Designated as a municipal heritage site in May 1995, the building is now used by the Northfield Community Club for social functions.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Memoirs of a School Inspector: Edward E. Best, 1888-1932 by Gladys M. Best and Hazel M. McFadyen, c1977. [Copy in library of the Manitoba Historical Society]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Northfield School, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 January 2016
Back to top of page