Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mountview School No. 953 (RM of Dauphin)
The Mountview School District was established formally in June 1898 and, from 1898 to 1922, a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW24-24-19W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. The original school building was replaced in 1922 by a new structure at SW25-24-19W. In June 1960, the school closed and the district was dissolved. Its catchment area later became part of the Dauphin Ochre School Division. A monument commemorates it at the site.
Among the teachers of Mountview School were Wendell H. A. F. White (1937-1938), C. S. Craig (1938), Mrs. Isobel Torrie (1954-1956), and Edward Genik (1956-1960).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 1, 4.
Dauphin East topographic map, 62N/1 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 March 2021