Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mountain City School No. 236 (RM of Stanley)
This monument in the Rural Municipality of Stanley commemorates the former site of Mountain City (1876-1883), situated at SW24-2-6 west of the Principal Meridian. In 1874, the first expedition of the North West Mounted Police passing along the Colonization Trail camped here, a day’s journey by horse from Emerson. The town was later established by entrepreneurs Alfred Codd and F. T. Bradley. In time it had two hotels, a general store, a tin and hardware store, a blacksmith shop, a grist mill, a sawmill, a school, and a Presbyterian church attended by cleric H. J. Borthwick.
By 1881, Mountain City was the county seat of South Dufferin Municipality. But like its neighbor Nelson to the north, the rosy future predicted for Mountain City was cut short. The site was abandoned in 1883 when the new Canadian Pacific Railway was constructed through the present town of Morden a few miles to the north. Those buildings capable of being moved were taken to the new town. By 1910, the last surviving building at the Mountain City site, the church, was demolished.
The Mountain City School District was established in 1884 and a schoolhouse operated at NE24-2-6W. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Morden Consolidated School District.
Among the teachers of Mountain City School was Miss Elizabeth Berryhill (1904-1906).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Liz Gibson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 September 2015
Back to top of page