MHS Online Auction: 30 September to 13 October

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Montefiore School No. 359 (Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)

The Montefiore School District was formally established in January 1885 and a building was erected on the southeast quarter of 21-2-24 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada. In 1900, the original school was replaced by a larger one, at 21-2-24W. It was renovated in 1949 and a full basement with furnace, library, and indoor plumbing was added. The school closed in June 1966 and its remaining students were bussed to the Deloraine Consolidated School No. 2448. The fate of the building is, as yet, unknown but a monument now stands at its former site.

Teachers at Montefiore School through the years included the following: Rufus Marr, Wilfred Tucker, John Perrin, Charles Somerville, Joyce Johnson, Val Hamilton, Alfred Hardy, Miss McKay, Lottie Perrin, Belle Perrin, Jean Perrin, Bruce McKenzie, D. C. Dorance, Margaret Teskey, Ella Patterson, George Brown, Miss Sharman, Helen Wilson, Elizabeth LeBarron, Edith Millar, John Main, Bert Love, Harry Hunter, Ida Burnett, Miss Campbell, Sadie Moynes, Jack Doughty, Carrie Doughty, Peggy McGregor, Mrs. Johnson, Mr. Little, Ivy Douglas, Mrs. Roy Finlay, Miss Cook, Elizabeth Fargey, Miss Hamilton, Helen Stewart, Miss Tremblay, Dean Finlay, Elsie Stalker, Jean Blair, Jim Cochrane, Verle Sinclair, Margaret Allan, Margaret Murphy, Mabel Cousins, Hazel Aldis, Marvyn Brown, Archie McNickel, Dave Goertsen, Elsie Morningstar, Irene Boke, Mrs. S. Hainsworth, and Mrs. C. Powne.

Montefiore School

Montefiore School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 26.

Montefiore School commemorative monument

Montefiore School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.14692, W100.63817
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Deloraine Scans a Century: 1880-1980 by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 143-144.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.