Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Post Office Building (103 Main Street South, Minnedosa)
Designed by federal architect David Ewart and built by the Brown Construction Company of Winnipeg between 1913 and 1914, the red brick Dominion Post Office in the Town of Minnedosa was one of four nearly identical structures built in regional centres around rural Manitoba. In addition to hosting the post office, the building also hosted a customs office, inland revenue office, examining warehouse, and, in later years, offices of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Federal use of the building ended in 1970. The building, now a provincially- and municipally-designated historic site, is presently used as a civic centre. A plaque at the site was dedicated by the Manitoba Heritage Council.
Photos & Coordinates
Death registration [William Arthur Nash Wright], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
A History of Minnedosa, 1878-1948 compiled by the Minnedosa Women’s Institute, 1948.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
Minnedosa Dominion Post Office Building, 103 Main Street South, Minnedosa, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Penelope Cummine for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 October 2020