Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake of the Woods Grain Elevator / Ogilvie Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Miniota, Municipality of Prairie View)
When a photo was taken in the early 1970s of the wooden grain elevator at Miniota, on the CPR Miniota Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View, two generations were still standing. The annex at left began life in 1910 as an elevator of the Maple Leaf Milling Company. Sold in 1929 to Federal Grain then to Lake of the Woods Milling in 1944, the squat little elevator was converted into an annex when the elevator at right was constructed in 1952. Two years later, the facility was sold to Ogilvie Flour Mills then, in 1959, to Manitoba Pool Elevators. Closed in April 1979, it was bought by a consortium of farmers known as the Miniota Elevator Fund who sold it to the Northwest Fertilizer Company. That company went out of business in 1980 and the elevator was bought back by the Miniota Elevator Fund, who used it to store mustard seed for a time. The elevator was demolished between 1982 and 1983.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
“Wedding [Wilkins – Bryant],” Miniota Herald, 13 August 1964, page 1.
Bridging the Years, 1879-1967 by Miniota Women's Institute, c1967, page 122.
“Local happenings,” Miniota Herald, 18 October 1973, page 2.
“Miniota news,” Birtle Eye-Witness, 19 May 1982, page 15.
“Miniota municipal council meet,” Hamiota Echo, 26 January 1983, page 4.
“Miniota municipal council report,” Hamiota Echo, 16 May 1984, page 8.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Pat Stowe.
Page revised: 6 June 2020