Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Millwood, Municipality of Russell-Binscarth)
A wooden grain elevator at Millwood, on the CPR Bredenbury Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Russell-Binscarth, was built in 1957 by Manitoba Pool Elevators to replace an earlier elevator destroyed by fire in March 1956, dating from around 1901, built by the Northern Elevator Company. It was closed in July 1971 and later removed from the site. A concrete commemorative monument on the former site of the elevator lists the names of the founding board of directors for the local Pool Association: William McKinnon (President), D. J. Low (Vice-President), Jacob Wondrasek, W. S. Yont, William May, H. K. Bligh, and Carl Bily (Secretary).
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“Millwood elevator destroyed by fire,” Russell Banner, 15 March 1956, page 1.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 June 2019
Back to top of page