The McKenzie House on Victoria Avenue in Brandon, a municipally designated historic building (1993), was constructed around 1901 for wine and spirits merchant William Ferguson but was occupied from about 1920 by Dr. Albert E. McKenzie, founder and owner of the A. E. McKenzie Seed Company Limited. Established in 1897, it became Western Canada’s largest seed company.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: A. E. McKenzie Building (30 Ninth Street, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: McKenzie House (RM of Oakview)
Memorable Manitobans: William Ferguson (1853-1928)
Memorable Manitobans: Albert Edward McKenzie (1870-1964)
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
McKenzie House, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank Ralph Evans for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.