Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator A / Private Grain Elevator (McConnell, Municipality of Hamiota)
The first grain elevator in McConnell, on the CNR Rapid City Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Hamiota, was built by businessman J. H. McConnell and sold to the Canadian Elevator Company. Between 1926 and 1927, its operation was taken over by McConnell Cooperative Elevator Association, affiliated with Manitoba Pool Elevators, with an executive committee consisting of A. C. Little (President), T. J. Caves (Vice-President), George N. McConnell (Secretary), C. C. Brown (Director), C. Watt (Director), W. J. Pollock (Director), and C. E. Winstone (Director). In 1928, the old elevator was demolished and a new “Pool A” building was constructed on the same site. A balloon annex was built beside the elevator in 1940.
Major renovations to the elevator were made in 1968, at a cost of $45,000, involving construction of a new driveway and office, and installation of a forty-ton scale. The final grain delivery to the elevators occurred on 16 December 1978, the same day as the final train passed through the village, as the railway line was abandoned. The tracks were removed in May 1979 and the elevators were sold to a local farmer. The CNR station building was moved to the Hamiota Pioneer Club Museum.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
McConnell: Little Town Lost by McConnell Women’s Institute and History Committee, 1979.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Jean McManus for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 June 2019