Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mariapolis School No. 830 (Mariapolis, Municipality of Lorne)
The Mariapolis School District was formally established in 1894 and a modest, one-storey schoolhouse was erected in Mariapolis, in what is now the Municipality of Lorne, in 1899. It was replaced in 1912 by a two-storey, four-classroom brick school building.
Near the former school site is a monument (at N49.35972, W98.98693) commemorating the rural schools that, in 1959, were consolidated with Mariapolis School No. 830 to become Mariapolis Consolidated School No. 2372 in the Mountain School Division No. 28. They included Dry River School No. 399 (NW22-4-12W, 1885-1958), Pike Lake School No. 838 (SW17-5-12W, 1894-1950), Zephyr School No. 1384 (NW7-4-12W, 1906-1952), and St. Albert School No. 2164 (NE13-5-12W, 1926-1958).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 October 2019
Back to top of page