Designed by Alfred Gent, this two-storey brick house was built in 1909 for business executive Hugh Buxton Lyall, who sold it in 1916 to Henry Finesilver. It was owned between 1923 and 1929 by real estate agent John Burgoyne, whose wife was the daughter of Maxime Goulet. For several years in the 1940s and 1950s, the house served as the manse for the rectors of Holy Trinity Church. It was later subdivided into apartments.
Memorable Manitobans: Hugh Buxton Lyall (1877-1948)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Holy Trinity Anglican Church (256 Smith Street, Winnipeg)
Hugh Buxton Lyall House, 830 Wolseley Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 March 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.