Historic Sites of Manitoba: Long River School No. 720 (RM of Killarney-Turtle Mountain)
The Long River School District was established formally in October 1892 and a school building was erected the next year on the northwest quarter of 10-2-18W, in what is now the Rural Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain. The original school was demolished in the 1930s and replaced by a frame building with a full basement, row of windows on its east side, and cottage roof. The school closed in 1966 and its district was dissolved in 1968, with remaining students going to Killarney School No. 252. The school building was moved to the village of Lena and renovated into a private residence. A sign commemorates it at the original site.
Among the teachers of Long River School were Annie Hodnett (1893) and Mrs. Shirley Huntley (1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections: Turtle Mountain Municipality and Killarney, 1882-1982, page 110.
We thank L. and B. Boisjoli for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 June 2017
Back to top of page