Historic Sites of Manitoba: Listowel School No. 834 (RM of Dauphin)
The Listowel School District was established in January 1895. Until 1906, the original schoolhouse operated at SE10-26-18W in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin. From 1906 to 1964, the second and third schools were located at SE4-26-18W. The school closed permanently in August 1964. The following year, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Dauphin Town Consolidated School District and later the Dauphin Ochre School Division. A commemorative monument at the second school site was erected in 1998.
Among the teachers of Listowel School were Ada Clark (1938), William E. Walker (1954-1958), Mrs. Ethel Stanley (1958-1960), and Mrs. Viola Gemmill (1960-1961).
“The local round,” Dauphin Herald, 20 October 1938, page 9.
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
“Town schools open today, high enrollments expected,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 29 August 1957, page 1.
“Total of 110 teachers assigned to schools in Dauphin-Ochre area,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 4 September 1958, page 1.
“Teaching staffs assigned to rural, village schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 3 September 1959, page 1.
“26 rural schools start fall term classes Tuesday,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 31 August 1960, page 4.
Ochre River West topographic map, 62O/4 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 March 2021