Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Layng’s Ford Monument (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)

This monument in the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford, on the east side of Boggy Creek on the southeast quarter of 25-13-15 west of the Principal Meridian, commemorates the homestead of early settler John Hamilton Layng. During the 1880s, it was a stopping place for travellers along the trail between Carberry and Neepawa. They crossed the creek at a point one quarter mile further west at one of the few spots with a firm creek bottom. This “Layng’s Ford” eventually contracted to Langford, the name chosen in 1890 for the newly created municipality.

Layng’s Ford Monument

Layng’s Ford Monument (August 2012)
Source: Allan Drysdale

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.12401, W99.38534
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 January 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.