This school on Seventh Street NW in Portage la Prairie was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Smith Carter Searle and Associates and constructed between 1961 and 1962.
A brick monument at La Verendrye School in Portage la Prairie supports the bell from the former North Ward School nearby.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: North Ward School (535 Third Street NW, Portage la Prairie)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: La Verendrye School (290 Lilac Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lafortune School No. 1304 / La Verendrye School (Woodridge, RM of Piney)
“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 September 1961, page 48.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.