Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lang House (RM of Pembina)

An abandoned two-storey stone house located far into an agricultural field in the Rural Municipality of Pembina, southeast of La Riviere, was built by mason Jim Willox for David Lang (sometimes spelled Laing), who came from around Montreal in May 1879 and established a farm here that he called “Burnbrae.” Willox built a number of stone residences in the district during the 1890s but few of them have survived because of the builder’s lack of experience with the area’s blue-clay soil. It seems sturdy but tends to flow slowly unless the foundations of buildings are deep or the building is relatively Iight. It is believed the Lang House was Willox’s last commission before his departure to England to attend Queen Victoria’s 1897 Diamond Jubilee celebration.

Located on a site near a creek that became known as Lang’s Ravine, construction of the building began in 1896 and was completed in February 1897. Measuring 33 feet by 35 feet, it was constructed at a cost of $2,500 and was reported to contain some of the most beautiful woodwork and finest staircase in the area. The Langs, who had no family, were famous for their house parties and dances. Catherine B. Christie Lang died in 1913 and was buried in the nearby McKenzie Cemetery. David Lang returned to Quebec and died around 1923. The house and property was sold to the Moore family who lived here until the late 1950s or early 1960s.

In late 1979, heavy dimensional lumber was salvaged from the house’s interior, along with fine cedar paneling and the staircase. The front door was recycled as the main entrance into a honey house at a nearby farm. The building was burned and demolished in the spring of 2017 and all vestiges are now gone.

Lang House

Lang House (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of Lang House

Interior of Lang House (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Basement of Lang House

Basement of Lang House (May 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.12618, W98.62311
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Turning Leaves: A History of La Riviere and District by La Riviere Historical Book Society, 1979, page 185. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.L38 Tur]

Dominion Land Grants, Library and Archives Canada.

We thank Brad Scharf, Chris Thompson, Diana Vodden, and Ken Cudmore for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Felix Kuehn, Al Thorleifson, Bette Mueller, and Walter Mueller.

Page revised: 17 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.