Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lake Max School No. 1239 (Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
A monument in the Municipality of Boissevain-Morton commemorates Lake Max School District, which was established in a building on the southeast quarter of 12-2-21 west of the Principal Meridian, in May 1903. The school closed in January 1968 and the building was renovated into a private residence that has been mistakenly identified as the former Croll School No. 1929.
Among the teachers of Lake Max School were Mr. E. H. Black (1904-1906), Miss Stedman (1906), Miss Switzer (1907), Miss Connors (1907-1908), Miss MacLean (1908-1909), Miss Winnie Mayse (1909-1910), Ralph Mayse (1910-1911), Miss Katie Kilpatrick (1912), Miss McIntyre (1912-1913), Miss Mamie Fairburn (1913-1914), Miss May (1915), Miss McCracken (1915-1916), Miss Riter (1916), Miss Jessie Wood (1917), Miss Miner (1917), Miss Ansley (1918), Miss Eva Sutherland (1918-1919), Miss Esther Rutherford (1919-1921), Miss Douse (1921-1922), Miss Ruth Bates (1922-1923), Miss Rita Morrison (1923-1925), Miss Mildred Hammond (1925-1927), Miss Margarita McKay (1927-1928), Miss Edna Bennett (1928-1930), Miss Alice Jane Hutton (1930-1933, 1934-1937), Miss Dorothy Baskerville (1933), Miss Louisa Moncur (1937-1939), Miss Eileen Olive Bryant (1939-1944), Miss Ethel Sophie Waiser (1944-1945), Miss Geraldine McMunn (1945-1946), Miss Mary Louise Dousellaire (1946-1947), Miss Gladys Edith Snyder (1947-1948), Miss Isabel Alice Challborn (1948-1949), George Ivan McBurney (1949-1950), Miss Grace Eleanor Galloway (1950-1952), Charles Buck (1952-1953), Miss Constance May “Connie” Davidson (1953-1955), Miss Wynnefred Vada “Wynne” Hastings (1955-1956), Michael Storoschuk (1956-1958), Miss Margaret R. Cummings (1958-1960), Miss Joyce Morrison (1960), Joyce Arlene Ward (1960), Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Edwards (1961), Mrs. Eva Annie Gouldie (1961-1963), Baldwin P. Berg (1963-1965), Miss Phyllis Rebecca Pogson (1965-1966), and Mrs. Elsie Maude Maxwell (1966-1968).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Beckoning Hills Revisited: Ours is a Goodly Heritage, Morton-Boissevain, 1881-1981 by Boissevain History Committee, c1981, pages 164-166.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Lake Max School District No. 1239 Daily Registers, GR4072, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Teyana Neufeld for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 12 October 2021