A monument in the Rural Municipality of South Norfolk commemorates Jeanne d’Arc School, named for French martyr Joan of Arc, which operated in a building established in the southwest quarter of 30-7-8 west of the Principal Meridian, in April 1913. The school closed in January 1960 and its remaining students attended Notre Dame du Lourdes Consolidated School No. 2390.
Jeanne d’Arc School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 14.
Jeanne d’Arc School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.59167, W98.54940
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.