Historic Sites of Manitoba: Isbister School No. 500 (RM of Springfield)
The Isbister School District was organized formally in March 1887 and named for A. K. Isbister. A school building was erected on the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of 12-11-5 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. It was moved to a more central location in 1898. Around 1938, it was replaced by the present structure at a new site, one-half mile east and one-quarter mile north of the earlier one. After the school closed in 1964, remaining students went to Dugald Consolidated School No. 2427. The building was sold and renovated into a private residence.
Teachers who taught at Isbister School included Zena Paterson (1887), Nellie Braden (1887-?), John F. Wright (?-1891), Mr. Swan (1892), Mr. Armstrong (1893-1894), Rosene Conklin (1894), K. S. Hogg (1895), John F. Rose (1896), W. Goodridge (1897), W. Shipley (1898-1899), Miss McCullock (1900), Miss M. Craig (1901, 1903), Miss Olive Steel (1902), Miss McIntyre (1904), Elizabeth Scambler (1905-1906), Annie S. Craig (1907), Kathleen Newell (1907), Olive Archibald (1908), Mabel White (1909), Jane Anderson (1909-1910), Cora Thompson (1910), Myrtle Jackson (1911-1912), Henry Herbert McKeen (1912), Miss Cruikshank (1913), Miss Ivey Morrison (1914), Miss Margaret Craig (1915), J. Zimmerman (1916), Miss K. Sutton (1916), Miss K. Sutton (1917), Miss McIvor (1918), Miss Blair (1919-1920), Miss M. Craig (1920-1921), C. B. Stevens (1921-1922), Miss Eileen McKenzie (1922-1923), Miss Gladys Heather (1923-1925), Miss L. Rust (1925-1928), Miss V. Gillespie (1928-1933), H. G. McCallum (1933-1937), Louise McDermot (1938-1939), Miss Minnie Rowley (1939-1940), Miss D. Aileen Lamont (1940-1942), Miss Olga Ewushkiw (1942-1943), Miss Kathleen St. George (1943-1944), Mrs. M. H. Bryce (1944-1945, 1946-1947), Miss Catherine Dowie (1947-1948), Miss Genest (1948-1949), Miss Angela Claeys (1949-1950), Mrs. Charlotte Ross (1950-1951), Mrs. Nora Hadaller (1950-1951), Anne Ostrowski (1950-1951), Miss Doris Backman (1951-1952), Miss Doris Weisner (1952-1953), Elizabeth J. Penner (1953-1954), Mrs. P. Kruchak (1954-1957), Mrs. V. Reynolds (1957-1959, 1960-1964), and Mrs. L. Letandie (1959-1960).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 January 2019
Back to top of page