Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Howard School No. 218 (RM of Roblin)

Howard School was established formally in April 1884, named for local farmer Thomas Howard. A school building was erected in 1885 on the northwest quarter of 2-2-14 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Roblin. It closed in November 1959. The school building was sold to a local farmer and moved away. A metal sign commemorates it.

Some of the teachers who worked at Howard School included the following: Miss Kate Race (1886), J. W. Daly (1887), J. S. McKay (1888), Miss Abbie Howard (1892), Prescott Smith (1896-1897), Miss Mina Henderson (1905), Miss Tena Coulthard (1912), Jean M. Cowell (1924-1925), Elsie Skelton (1925-1927), F. Selley (1927-1928), Dora Vincent (1928-1929), Lottie McDonald (1930-1932), Winnifred McMillan (1933-1937), Marie Martin (1937-1938), E. B. Moreland (1938-1939), Hilda Michelmore (1939-1940), G. Arthur (1942), Jean Lochhead (1942-1944), Marie Larose (1944-1945), Dorothy Milliken (1945-1946), Alice Tryhuk (1946-1947), N. Dudgeon (1947-1948), Eleanor Rankin (1949-1950), Enid Cobbledick (1950-1951), Ruth Fairservice (1951-1952), Gwen McLean (1952-1953), Anne Didkowski (1952-1953), Elaine Dagg (1954-1955), Mrs. Empey (1955-1956), Norma Daly (1955-1956), Dorothy Gibson (1955-1956), and James Retvick (1955-1956).

Howard School

Howard School (no date) by W. J. Parr
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 75.

Howard School

The former Howard School (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1114.

Howard School

Howard School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.09702, W99.25715
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 August 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.