|
||||||||||
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hood School No. 1381 (RM of Portage la Prairie)The Hood School District was established in May 1906 and a school building was erected in the northeast quarter of 11-10-8 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Portage la Prairie. It closed in April 1967. The land and school were purchased by a local farmer and moved to his farm. It was destroyed by fire in the late 1990s. A monument stands at the original school site. The teachers who worked at Hood School included Pearl McCullough, Mabel McCullough, Gavin McCullough, Mr. Banning, Anna Murray, Bernice Whitman, Ruth Gordon Henry, Fred Storie, Victoria Heap, Margaret Gee, Annie Timmons, Gladys Smith, Betty McRorie, Margaret McLaughlin, Alex Paul, Margaret Lesperance, Annie Moxham Lusk, Beulah Wilson, Muriel Cooper, Miss Stodard, Miss Argue, Ella Earls Cook, Noreen Owens Pongoski, Mary Armishaw Gourley, Dorothy Cousins, Miss Baer, Gwen Lesperance, Anne Collins, Audrey Mulligan, Elsie White, and Mrs. Maloney.
Sources:One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978. Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996. We thank Richard Mazurat for providing additional information used here. This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough. Page revised: 19 March 2022
|
||||||||||
|