Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hobbs Building (290 Stephen Street, Morden)
This two-storey brick building in Morden was erected in 1898 by John A. Hobbs for his pharmacy. The business was later operated by the Pulford Leonard Drug Company, Bruce Hamlyn Drug Company, and Ven Allen, the last of whom sold it, in 1952, to Ivan Ridley. At this point, Ridley moved to new premises.
The second-floor office was occupied by dentist George H. Bray from 1906 to 1949, and later by L. H. Kahane, B. Friesen, Fred Ollinik, and Stan Jenkins in turn. The space was then occupied by a repair shop for musical instruments. There was a barber shop at the back of the building, later occupied by a hair dressing shop.
After Ridley moved out, the building was occupied by a succession of businesses, including Atkins Hardware (1955), Morden Greenhouses (1964), Morden Florists (1972), Wolfe’s Florist Shop and Decock Craft Shop. Since 1983, it has been occupied by a pizza restaurant.
290 Stephen Street, Marathon Pizza, Town of Morden.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 December 2011
Back to top of page