Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Helston, Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)
A grain elevator in the village of Helston, in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne, was built in 1905 by the Western Canada Flour Mills on the Muir-Helston Branch of the Canadian Northern Railway. In May 1940, the building was sold to Manitoba Pool Elevators for $5,000 and, in August 1940, re-sold for $6,650 to farmers belonging to the Helson Co-operative Elevator Association No. 160. The original structure, capable of holding 25,000 bushels of grain, was demolished during the summer of 1946 and replaced with the present 40,000-bushel structure. By the mid-1950s, the elevator was full before the entire crop had been delivered so plans were made to construct a 54,000-bushel crib annex during the winter of 1956-1957. During the 1974-1975 crop year, the facility handled 209,632 bushels.
The elevator closed in December 1978 when the adjacent railway line was abandoned. It was used for a time to store corn. By the time of a 2012 site visit, the building stood vacant and open to the elements. The road to it was heavily overgrown so it was only accessible by foot.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
Obituary [Grover Lobb], Winnipeg Free Press, 30 January 1965, page 32.
Legacies of Lansdowne: A Sequel by RM of Lansdowne History Committee, 1984, page 48. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.L36 Leg]
Helston Cooperative Elevator Association, Manitoba Pool Elevators Fonds, RG 4, S. J. McKee Archives.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 February 2016
Back to top of page