Historic Sites of Manitoba: Heckels Block (339 Stephen Street, Morden)
Built by businessman Charles F. Heckels (1859-1924) in 1901 as a two-storey stone structure along Morden’s Stephen Street, the front of the main floor was occupied by the Bank of Hamilton and the rear had the offices of bailiff Augustus Pigott and lawyer Arnold W. Bowen. Upstairs was the Alexander Hall for public performances and meetings. The second floor was removed in the early 1940s. Other businesses that have operated here included Mrs. Herron’s Millinery (1901-1918), Dack’s Pharmacy (1943-1960), Bank of Montreal (1960-1972), Municipal Assessment Branch, Jack Dunbar Agencies, and Morden Agencies/Morden Realty.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Southern Manitoba. Morden. Killarney”, Manitoba Free Press, 28 November 1901, page 7.
Death registration [C. F. Heckels], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
339 Stephen Street, Morden Realty, Town of Morden.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 December 2011
Back to top of page