The Heatherdale School District was organized formally in April 1911 and a school building operated on the northeast quarter of 31-9-5 east of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Tache. It was dissolved in 1967. The building was later renovated into a private residence and a commemorative sign was erected at the site in August 2020 by the Prairie Grove Historical Book Committee.
Heatherdale School (no date) by R. Goulet
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 141.
The former Heatherdale School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1373.
The former Heatherdale School building (March 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Heatherdale School commemorative sign (August 2020)
Source: Macy Thiesen
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.79685, W96.88987
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Macy Thiesen, Diane Heather, and Joe Van De Keere for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.