Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hayland School No. 1553 (Municipality of West Interlake)

The Hayland School District was established in January 1911 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE19-23-9W in what is now the Municipality of West Interlake. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division, with classes held here until June 1968. At a 2015 site visit, the former school building was standing vacant.

Among the teachers of Hayland School were A. E. Harrah (1913), Ivy E. Pervice Henson (1913), Alex. Brown (1914), W. H. Woodward (1914), Helga Arnason (1914), Anna Westman (1915), ? (1915), Nellie Crawford (1916), M. E. Parker (1916), Kristine S. Peturssen (1917), Martha Ostenso (1918), John Erickson (1919), Elizabeth Anna Johnson (1919-1920), Sarah Groa Kristin Rafnkelsson Sandmoen (1920-1921, 1925, 1926-1927, 1929-1931, 1934, 1940-1941, 1942, 1942-1943, 1944-1945, 1946-1952, 1953-1954, 1958-1961), Gudrun Vigfusson (1921), Adam Thorgrimsson (1922), H. J. Arnason (1922-1923), Gladys Alderson (1923), Anna Katherine Peterson (1924), M. Wilson (1925), G. Eggertson (1925), Christina E. Low (1925), Cecile W. Johnson (1926), Agnes J. McGhie (1928), Mae Baldwin (1929), Helga J. Gislason (1931-1934, 1936), Sessalia [Cecilia] “Setta” Halldorson (1934-1936), Edith Rae Bartleman (1936), Stefania Grace Eyford (1937-1940), Gudrun Hallson (1941), Sophie Magnusson (1943-1944), Mamie Ellen Hill (1945-1946), Phyllis Jean Hallson (1952-1953), D. E. Dean (1953), Anne Dueck (1957), Anne Edith Sigvaldason (1957-1958), Merle Sandmoen Eyford (1961-1962, daughter of S. G. K. R. Sandmoen), Esther Marie Johnson (1962-1964), Dorothy Jean Halldorson (1964-1965), Georgina Ann Larson (1965-1967), and Mary Louise Reading (1967-1968).

The former Hayland School building

The former Hayland School building (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Interior of the former Hayland School building

Interior of the former Hayland School building (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.99381, W98.70244
denoted by symbol on the map above


Alonsa East topographic map, 62J/15 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Marriage registrations [Sarah Groa Kristin Rafnkelsson], Manitoba Vital Statistics.

Obituary [Sarah Groa Kristin Rafnkelsson], Stonewall Interlake Spectator, 7 November 1994, page 30.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Hayland School District No. 1553 - Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 11 March 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.